| fat loss
Do Thermogenic Supplements Really Work?
By Tyler Woodward
“Thermogenic”... what does that even mean? The term thermogenic means “to produce heat”, and when applied to supplements, it refers to a type of supplements formulated to raise your internal body temperature, so you quite literally burn more calories. Countless thermogenic supplement options line the shelves in grocery and convenience stores alike, but do they really work?
We know what you’re thinking, fat burners are a hoax… and the truth is many are, but when formulated with the right, high-quality ingredients, they can give you that added boost you’ve been looking for!
Let’s dive into the details of thermogenic supplements to uncover the truth on this “hot” topic…
Turn Up the Heat:
All humans consume oxygen and food (glucose and fat) to produce energy as carbon dioxide, water, & heat. This fundamental life-fueling process is known as cellular respiration.
Oxygen + Glucose → ATP (Usable Energy) + Carbon Dioxide + Water + Heat
This process plays a key role in our body’s regulation of internal body temperature. Our body regulates its temperature to cool itself when it gets too hot (sweat), and warm itself when it gets too cold (shiver). The body regulates to maintain the golden temperature of 98.6 ℉ ( 37℃), our thermoregulatory set point (our maintenance body temperature).
If your body temperature goes too far above this set point, your body begins to take measures to cool itself (i.e. sweating), while if your body temperature goes too far below this point, it takes measures to heat itself back up (i.e. shivers).
For these reasons your body temperature is a great indicator of your metabolism. Metabolism in its simplest form is the total amount of energy that you burn. The more energy you burn, the higher your metabolic rate, the higher your body temperature.
So how do we harness this heat to support fitness and wellness goals?
That’s where thermogenic supplements come in…
High-quality thermogenic supplements increase your body temperature resulting in an increased metabolic rate and therefore more calories burned.
Read More: How To Lose Weight By Eating More
Boost the Burn:
To give you that added boost you need to torch calories and feel more energized than ever, look no further than zuBurn. zuBurn isn’t your typical every day fat burner - it’s carefully and precisely formulated with natural ingredients that rev up your metabolism and increase your body heat. Give it a try for yourself and get ready to feel the burn.
As we discuss thermogenics, it becomes obviously clear that body temperature is at the core of how and why thermogenic supplements work.
98.6 ℉, or 37℃, is our thermoregulatory set point - think of it as your maintenance body temperature. If your body temperature goes too far above this set point, your body begins to take measures to counteract and correct it (i.e. sweating). If your body temperature goes too far below this set point you start to shiver to heat your body back up. This golden number is a great indicator of metabolic health.
Body Temperature is also a great predictor of metabolism or metabolic rate. Metabolism in its simplest form is the total amount of energy that you burn. The more energy you burn, the higher your metabolic rate, the higher your body temperature.
Looking to supercharge your metabolism? Try UMZU’s Thermogenic Fat Burner, zuBURN!
Now that we’ve discussed what thermogenics are and the important relationship between our body temperature and metabolism, let’s take a closer look into how thermogenic supplements work with the body to boost metabolism, increase energy, and burn more calories.
Your body temperature is a great indicator of your metabolic rate. The higher your average body temperature throughout the day, the more calories you burn. This study found that increasing your core temperature by 1℃ thereby increasing your metabolic rate by 10-13% would increase you the amount of calories you burn by 100-130 daily, assuming your calorie intake is 2000 calories/day.
- Low body temperature is associated with hypothyroidism, an underactive thyroid gland. The thyroid gland is the master regulator of your metabolism, so an underactive thyroid goes hand in hand with an underactive metabolism and therefore a low body temperature.
- High body temperature is associated with hyperthyroidism, an overactive thyroid gland and thereby an increased metabolic rate. This may be fine for short bouts of time, like during a fever but is likely not great for your health long-term.
Thermogenic supplements work by increasing your metabolic rate, increasing the amount of energy you burn which results in more heat produced.
Remember that equation that dictates our metabolism?
Glucose + Oxygen → ATP (Usable Energy) + Carbon Dioxide + Water + Heat
Well, when your body runs out of glucose that is in the blood, it shifts to your glycogen stores (stored glucose) and finally to your fat stores. While there are some slight differences between using carbs (glucose) and fats as fuel, they end up with more or less the same end products, yielding…
This is where zuBurn comes in...
We formulated zuBurn to give you that added boost in your weight loss journey. Designed to increase your metabolic rate by increasing the amount of fuel your body and specifically your cells burn. The more heat you and your cells generate directly correlates with the amount of energy you are using.
What’s In zuBurn?:
zuBurn contains 7 Clinically-Backed that have been shown to increase your resting metabolic rate, the uptake, and burning of glucose and fats as fuel:
- The B-Vitamins (B1 -Thiamin, B6, B12) - Necessary for cellular respiration (metabolism), helps to regulate blood sugar, and helps to breakdown sugar and amino acids
- Caffeine - Caffeine is a known thermogenic supplement. It increases body temperature and has also been shown to increase energy availability, increase energy expenditure, and increase lipolysis (the breakdown of fat tissue/cells)
- Capsimax - Capsimax is a concentrated form of Capiscum, one of the main spice-inducing chemicals found in red chili peppers. If you like hot foods you’re likely aware of the thermogenic effects of red peppers. Capiscum has been shown to increase thermogenesis and resting metabolic rate.
- Paradoxine - Paradoxine, commonly known as the grains of paradise, is a spice derived from the ginger family. Paradoxine has been shown to increase whole body energy expenditure and reduce the accumulation of visceral fat.
- Mitoburn - Mitoburn is a promising supplement that has the potential to “brown” fat. Brown fat is the metabolically active that is capable of producing heat, compared to white fat which is inactive and solely used as storage.
The Burning Question:
Now that you know the truth behind thermogenics and the science behind how they work with your body to boost metabolism, increase your energy expenditure and support fat burning, the question is, are you ready to give them a try? UMZU’s zuBURN is a great thermogenic supplement option, backed by science and formulated with natural ingredients that work with your body to boost the burn. Not all fat burners are created equal. When formulated with the right, high-quality ingredients, they can give you that added boost you’ve been looking for!
My goal in writing this article, as always, is to provide you with logically-based principles that you can use to form your own conclusions regarding any information you may come across within this subject. I really hope you found this article interesting and if you have anything to add to this article, or any comments or criticism, feel free to reach out to me on our facebook groups (The Thermo Diet Community Group, The UMZU Community Group) or on Instagram @tylerwoodward_fit. Also, please feel free to share this article with anyone that might be interested.
Thanks for reading!
Until next time… be good~Tyler Woodward
B.S. Physiology and Neurobiology