Detoxes For Weight Loss | Do They Really Work?
By Christopher Walker
Do you frown at the numbers on the bathroom scale? Most Americans probably wouldn’t mind dropping a few pounds. Of course, exercise and smart food choices will always be the main keys to healthy weight management. Nevertheless, you can explore a body detox as a viable method to help shed a few pounds while totally cleansing your body in the process. We’ll show you how to detox your body to lose weight with easy-to-follow steps.
Before We Begin...
Before introducing some methods and the steps, we recommend seeing our post on detox weight loss. We discuss some of the sciences and studies behind a body cleanse to lose weight. In short, while it can be done, we emphasize that the first and foremost goal of any cleansing program should be about ridding your body of toxins and other accumulated waste. Any weight loss that comes out of it will naturally follow as a secondary benefit.
The Detox Cycle At A Glance:
This post goes beyond detox shakes. We also list some foods to eat and stay away from during the detox cycle. Each cycle is usually seven days, though cycles can certainly be shorter or longer. Depending on your personal goals, you may complete a cycle every month, every 3-4 months, twice a year or annually.
Learn More: Are You Filled With Poop
We suggest seeing our post on detox drinks. Each recipe we list comes with a description of how it assists in weight loss and body cleansing. If you want to know how to cleanse your body to lose weight, you have to consume drinks or food with micronutrients that assist the liver in the flushing process.
You can’t learn how to detox your body to lose weight without taking food into consideration. The fasting and cleansing drinks are only part of the equation and are incomplete without the right food choices. During the process, you will eat two meals and a snack or two in between. The meals don’t have to be anything specific. However, you need to stick to select foods and completely eliminate others.
Eat These Foods:
- Fruits – All fruits are applicable. Stick to fresh or frozen.
- Root vegetables — These include potatoes, yams, pumpkin and carrots.
- Grass-fed meat and poultry
- Wild-caught warm water fish
- Monounsaturated fats, such as olive oil and avocados
- Organic dairy
Avoid These Foods:
- Anything with processed sugars
- Processed meats, such as hot dogs and pre-sliced lunch meat
- Canned fruits and vegetables
- Refined flour, such as white bread and pasta
- Run-of-the-mill snacks, such as potato chips, cookies, crackers, etc.
- Anything with polyunsaturated fatty acids (vegetable and nut oils)
Forget the eight glasses of water per day. For men, consume at least 3.7 liters; for women, 2.7 liters. Yes, you’ll pee a lot, but peeing is one way your body eliminates toxins. Studies also show drinking water increases resting calorie expenditure. In other words, it increases the number of calories burned even when you’re sitting on the couch.
You can also count the detox drinks towards your daily water intake. Most of the drinks, after all, consist of fruit/vegetable infused water.
You may amplify the effects of any detox program by consuming a natural cleansing supplement like zuPOO. We want to stress, though, that supplementation is optional. It is also NOT a replacement for any of the above steps.
The Step-By-Step Process
- First thing in the morning – consume 16 ounces of your choice of detox drink
- Continue to drink water, preferably three to five cups by lunchtime
- Consume digestive supplement (optional)
- cups water
- 3-5 cups water
- 16-ounce detox drink
- More water
An example of a full day on a weight loss detox would look like this:
- 7:00 am – wake up
- 7:10 am – consume 16 ounces of cucumber-infused water, consume digestive supplement
- 7:15 am – 1:00 pm – consume 3-5 cups of water
- 1:00 pm – lunch – one baked potato with broccoli and ground beef
- 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm – drink 3-5 cups water
- 5:00 pm – snack – an apple and a banana
- 6:00 pm – 16 ounces of apple and cinnamon infused water
- 7:00 pm – dinner – two yams, carrots, and grass-fed sirloin steak
- 8:00 pm – bedtime – 3 cups water
The combination of fasting, detox drinks, lots of water and wholesome foods will flush out your system. You should also notice some weight loss. The amount depends on various factors, such as your current bodyweight and whether you exercise during the cycle.
How To Detox Your Body to Lose Weight; Restore Your Body to Its “Default Setting”
Even if you feel healthy, chances are your body could use a detox. We admit the detox outlined can be a bit rigorous especially since you’re drinking tons of water and completely cutting out some foods you probably normally eat. However, the rewards extend well beyond the seven-day cycle. You’ll feel rejuvenated and may even see a slight drop on the scale.